Saturday, December 6, 2008

ReadReviewRecommend

The mission of this blog is to get us started to Read what the students want, Review the self-selected readings, and share with the School community. The end result will be the Recommended WORKS for 1-2 months as voted by the students themselves. Students may create a display pairing up fiction with a non-fiction counterpart. The result might be students' answers to "WHAT IF" questions.
(please visit SelectReads blog: sign-in, comment, engage)

READ, REVIEW, RECOMMEND: Fostering LOVE OF READING

How It Started? Our students love to read. They ask me to recommend the “next” book in a series, a book with a type of character like they just read in another text, etc. To help me in this process, I started to create a matrix with characters along corresponding works. The matrix will be populated with students’ choices. The works could be classical ones, legends and fairy tales, popular texts, movies and songs, all based on the same progenitor work, like Romeo and Juliette by Shakespeare. This work, for example, was used by Tchaikovsky in his ballet, and many others to create original overtures, stories, and films of their own.


The Process. Students read self-selected texts, review, vote, and recommend their BEST BOOKS for the months of… The recommendation is based on students’ voting. These selected books are discussed in small groups in the Library. Many English Department teachers welcome this project and have already agreed to serve as in-resident coaches.

Please use the table below to add your favorite characters and corresponding texts. We may not have time to come to all the texts immediately, but will surely try our BEST! :-)

Types of characters

Works: examples

Young lovers

Romeo and Juliet (Shakespeare).

Tchaikovsky’s ballet. Twilight.

Prince, the charming

Wilde, The Portrait of Dorian Gray. Snow White.

Sleeping Beauty.

The orphan

Cinderella.

The fool

Also see medieval jesters, the Shakespearian “fool” in King Lear, As You Like It, The Tempest.


Wicked stepmother

Snow White. Cinderella.

Shakespeare’s
Charles and Mary Lamb.

Strong women

Anne Frank; Ayaan Hirsi Ali; Charlotte Doyle.

Young beautiful maiden

Rapunzel

Alienated

Kafka, The Castle.

Saramago, The Cave.

Person doesn’t fit in

The Ugly Duckling.

Cliques

The Clique.

Student – teacher relationship

J.M. Coetzee, Disgrace.

Adventure

Twain’s Tom Sawyer

Strong teens in wars

Esther and Nejma in The Wandering Star (J.M.G. Le Clezio)

Exploited children

Dickens. Gender and class in American fiction.


Vampires, witches

Meyer’s New Moon, Eclipse, Twilight.

Bella and the gorgeous vampire (Edward Cullen).

Beauty and the Beast. Mother Gothel.

Scapegoat

The real thief; The Gorilla did it; It's not my fault; chicken Sunday, etc.

Your character(tba)
Title(s) of works that include character(s)

Science fiction; Harry Potter; graphic novels, comic books.

The "atomic" era (space travel, invasion, mutants, mad scientists, computers and cyberpunks, virtual reality, viruses, pollution and ecology themes);
also see http://www.uchronia.net for a bibl of about 3,000 novels and essays involving "what ifs" of history.

contact: Dr. Ercegovac
zorana.ercegovac@yourschool.org




43 comments:

Zorana Ercegovac said...

This is great, will post to the students and invite them to participate in this project. We have already about 20+ girls and several teachers who would like to serve as advisers and experts.

Unknown said...

I think that this is a really great idea, and cannot wait to read a great book!

una said...

Great concept! I look forward to hearing the reviews and recommendations!

Unknown said...

What a novel idea! It's a bit like belonging to a book club from the comfort of your own home/computer.

Unknown said...

This is a great website, I would recommend it to anyone who loves to read and needs a new adventure. This is a wonderful idea! I know that it will come to a lot of use.

Tiger said...

I always have a hard time deciding on a book to read when in the library, so this blog will come in handy especially when the new A.R.C. opens up and we have even more books to choose from!

Zorana Ercegovac said...

I think this website will benefit many students! It is a great idea, I'm excited to start reading some good books! -Tiana

Zorana Ercegovac said...

great idea, will use for my book club as well as in my English classes and essays; can't wait to vote for the best Marlborough School picks of a month!

Zorana Ercegovac said...

This is the coolest and the latest thing happening in the library. Can't wait to get started. Will have Marlborough School best picks! How cool is that?

Zorana Ercegovac said...

I will be reading with my friends, and when get to ARC, will have even more fiction books to choose from. Great:-)

Unknown said...

This is an awesome idea! I can not wait to here about all the great novels that my peers request. I know this site will help me find the book I want to read at the time.
katie kaplan

Unknown said...

This is a cute idea. I think that people could really get a good book out of this. Currently, I'm reading Perfect in the Pretty Little Liars series. I love it.
-Paris Sanders '14
currently being allowed to use Daphne Meyer '14's gmail account.

Unknown said...

This sounds like a very interesting program but i doubt that I would be able to participate due to my lack of free time. I have almost no time but I am attempting to finish The Book Theif.
Genevieve Shaw

Unknown said...

this is a very nice way to learn about if a book is good or interesting and it tells me what book is right for me. I am reading Hunger Games!
Rose Beth Johnson-Brown

Anonymous said...

I think that this website is a great idea and is very helpful! I can't wait to read some of the books listed here. I am reading Eclipse by Stephenie Meyer.

Unknown said...

I think that is a cool blog! Ya, continue to use it:). I'm currently reading To Kill a Mockingbird by Harper Lee. Very good book ;) -Daphne '14

Unknown said...

I am reading Luxe
-Katie Kaplan

Unknown said...

I think it's ok, but I don't really have time to follow something like this. Right now I am reading A Mango Shapes Space by Wendy Mass.

olivia said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Unknown said...

This is a great idea. I like knowing what books other kids my age are reading, so that I can read them. Right now I'm reading Maximum Ride, it's my favorite book. Kids with wings are so cool. I also really liked the Hunger Games, and Lock and Key.
-Rylee Shumway

Unknown said...

I really like this, I hope that i can finally find a book that i will enjoy and read. Currently, I am reading the twilight series twice.
xoxo,
Ashley '14

using daphne's account

Cause Fur Paws said...

This is a very cool site and I am so excited to read some of these books! WOW! great idea!
Thank you so much! This is going to be utterly fantastic... great job building up the library. :)
We are all reading to Kill a Mockingbird.
Love,
Kathryn, Marisa, and Sloane

Unknown said...

*A Mango Shaped Space by Wendy Mass*

Unknown said...

Lexi-
I think this blog is very useful and I plan on using it soon. I am reading To Kill A Mockingbird.

Colleen Kang-
This blog is very helpful and i plan on reading many of the books recommended.

Unknown said...

using my own account :)

Unknown said...

I really like it, it's a good idea though.

xoxo-Gina

Unknown said...

this is great. right now i am reading eclipse i love the twilight but harry potter is and always will be better. but twilight is still good
-nyala carbado

Unknown said...

I'm Rachel Broidy, I think this is a great site to learn what books to read. I read 2 pages of twilight and hating it with a great passion, don't read it.

Unknown said...

I like this website and am excited to use it in the future. Right now I am reading all of the Hercule Poirot Mystery's by Agatha Christie, they are great.
-Isabel

Unknown said...

Wow. This sounds great. I am reading *Out of time* by Caroline B. Cooney. And Twilight rocks my socks off my feet. Yeah. Just had to put that out there for all you peeps. But you probably already knew that. And I love *The Book Theif*. Amazing. Go read it. Now!

Tess

Unknown said...

i think i can use this site to hear about good books when im not reading any. I am currently reading eclipse (twilight saga).
-shalena

Unknown said...

Colleen K.-
The book I am reading right now is The Secrect Life of Bees, and I am really enjoying it.

Unknown said...

i think that this is a great idea, and i hope to read more good books!! i am curently reading the fourth harry potter book for the eighteenth time... i also recommend the twilight series and the thief lord by cornelia funke...

olivia said...

this is a great idea. now i can get ideas for what to read. i am reading the Uglies. it is a very exciting and fun book.
olivia

Anonymous said...

This is a good site, and I can't wait to start reading some of these books! I'm sure that it will be helpful to me in the future when I need to find a good book.

Caroline said...

I think that this is a good site to look up books. It is a great idea!

WITY said...

This is a great site. It's going to be very helpful when finding my next read. Thanks!

Unknown said...

This is a nifty website for 10 and 11 year olds, but if this is for Marlborough girls, you might want to update the books! Otherwise really handy!

Suhauna said...

I think that this website is a great idea, its a way for people who love to read to find books they might be interested in.

Shnookums said...

This sounds fun! I can't wait for more recommendations!

Unknown said...

We think this website is really helpful.
Its seems great because you can recommend books you like while finding other books people recommended to you!
Can't wait to use it!
Ali, Ruby, and Rula

Natalie Watson said...

This website looks like a great place to get ideas for new books to read. I doubt that I'd have time though!

Unknown said...

This is maya and claire we would like to say that recommeding books is an amazing idea and we can't wait to use it!